The dreaded DIY. It’s “full of love” but made your heart sink. We have all had that one significant other who always “made it themselves” . When it comes to DIY’s there are some things that have been done to death so we’re going to put a new spin on the clichés and brainstorm some other ideas as well ! Now I’m not knocking the DIY’s, I’m just strongly advising that you keep an eye on this site for weekly DIY gift ideas that won’t make your significant other cringe!
So I’ve compiled a long list of DIY’s and simple nearly free gifts that are affordable and easy to do. And here’s the kicker… People will actually want these gifts!
*All credit goes to the original websites*
~FOR YOUR MAN~
1. Fruit Rollup Fortune Cookies. A great way to seal the sweet deal of destiny.
2. Cook him a meal fit for a king. I know some women are against the entire “I’m a homemaker because I’m a woman” But really cooking good food for your guy is something they always love! When you’re with the right person cooking a seven course meal is worth it to make him smile. This link outlines the requirements for a 7 course meal.
3. Hide love notes for him to find. This is a link to how to make Tiny origami stars. It takes five minutes to make about 15 of these little guys. Only supplies are paper and scissors. You can color the paper and write notes on the inside of them!
4. Custom Mugs with Sharpie- I like to incorporate some sort of special connection that I have with my guy into every gift so it’s tailored just for him. Putting an inside joke that you both love and laugh about often can be a great decoration for a coffee mug so he can laugh on “good morning Mondays” and head to work/school thinking of you!
5. BALLOONS- What guy doesn’t like a huge surprise? Surprising your guy with tons of balloons in his room (I’m talking fill the room up) would be a bit of a prank I guess so maybe turn it into a challenge? Dare him to affectionately “prank “you back!
6. Breakfast in bed- Wake up up with eggs, bacon, toast, OJ the Works! And cut the toast like this (follow the link) Then kiss him and ask if he’d like dessert.
7. Go out of your way to look good – Sometimes when life gets hectic we pull on clumpy sweaters, yoga pants and hunter boots. And when it stays hectic for awhile it’s easy to fall into the routine of looking like a mess! Going the extra mile knowing that he will notice your change of attire will be a confidence booster for you and just a whole lot of fun for him. Look nicer than usual and ask him out for dinner at a new place, he’ll be interested and notice that you’ve been hitting the gym too.
~FOR YOUR GIRL ~
1. Use words that match her inner beauty- You tell her she’s sexy but being sexy and beautiful are two very different things. Taking the time to let her know how strong, smart and breathtaking she is takes compliments to an entirely different level. Surprising her by writing some of these quotes (follow the link) on pieces of paper and taping them to the front of her bedroom door or on her walls (somewhere she can see them every day) will make her feel like you really have deep feelings for her.
2. Pay attention.When she tells you what her favorite movie is Remember it. If you both go for coffee- memorize her order. If she tells you her secrets (even the small things) remember them! All of these things are important, all of them mean something! One day surprise her with her favorite flavor of cupcake (that she mentioned briefly last month) she’ll be blown away!
3. Rub her feet- Whenever she sits or lays down and feels tired kiss her on the forehead, tell her to relax and then rub her feet. It is the most relaxing de-stress, de-tox, awesomeness I have ever experienced as a woman. If I’m in a nasty mood and am snapping at my guy, he lays me down and rubs my feet. Then I fall asleep. And I wake up happy. Works every time.
4. Take her out dancing- No twerking, grinding or gyration this time. Dress up nice, take her out for dinner and then attend a swing dance or a ballroom dance. Make her feel like Ginger Rogers. Or schedule a single dance class for you both to take together. Even if you hate to dance she’ll see you making an effort and know that you loved her enough to learn what a box step is.
5. Buy a packet of glow in the dark stars and stick them on her celling spelling out I love you. She won’t notice them until she goes to sleep.
6. An incredibly fluffy blanket for her to sleep with at night. Just surprise her with it one day for no reason at all. she’ll think of you every time she snuggles in bed.
7. One weekend plan to do all the things she loved as a kid. Flying kites, building forts and watching Disney movies, Eating Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, Dancing to 2003 radio Disney hits or playing with play dough! Try to feel like kids agin, let her feel like a worry free 8 year old. Be her best friend that day. She’ll never forget it!
8. Buy a inflatable kiddie pool and fill it with fluffy blankets and pillows. Place it outside on a deck or the grass play romantic music, buy some champagne and finger food . You both can snuggle in the kiddie pool without bugs or dirt! She’ll love the chance to look at the stars with you or watch her favorite film.